Saturday, August 24, 2013

Location: Southampton, England

(Posting now for last night because the internet was a bit sketchy.)

Well, this is it. I officially board the M.V. Explorer and leave for Semester at Sea tomorrow. Jazlin and I made it down to Southampton after a very action-packed day in London, and I have finally been reunited with my long-lost luggage (it made it! The B&B owner emailed to tell me it was here while I was back in Cardiff, but I forgot to mention it.) The airline security folks had rooted around in the larger of my bags and tossed everything haphazardly back in, so a couple of my books are sporting rather bent pages, but at least everything looks like it's still there.

This morning Jazlin and I woke up bright and early in our London Hostel in a valiant (yet ultimately fruitless) effort to have breakfast eaten, stuff packed, and to arrive in time for a 10:30am Westminster walking tour. I think everything worked out for the best though, because after we zoomed out of the underground at the Westminster station at 10:32 and failed to locate the tour, we got to meander (speed-walk) at our own pace past Buckingham palace, Westminster Abbey, Downing Street, Trafalgar Square, and the London Eye (not sure if that is a complete list, but you get the idea) before finally descending back into the subway and zooming off to Kew Gardens. I'm pretty sure that last sentence was much longer than it should have been, but I am way too lazy to trace the root of the run-on.






We arrived at Kew Gardens in time to enjoy a heavily discounted entrance fee via the garden's "lazy summer afternoons" special. Of course, this only gave us a couple of hours to traverse what is probably the largest botanic garden I've ever been to. We tackled this challenge in typical Jazlin & Lindsey fashion: speed walking!

We actually made it a decent way, though by no means did we reach everything in the 300 acre garden. We even stopped in the Orangery (an eatery) for a bit and got a nice cup of tea and jammy dodger each before heading off again.


Then it was back to the subway, on to Waterloo station, and down to Southampton by train.

What do blogger like almost as much as Jammy Dodgers?
.... Comments!

2 comments:

Amy Weih said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

l
Looks like you girls are having a blast. Thanks for the excellent blog. I am having fun following your adventures!

M said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I usually read your blog after a nap in the afternoon, and by the time I'm done reading about your day, I almost feel tired again - you do so much!