Monday, August 19, 2013

A Welshman and His Hedgehog

This post was written for Saturday, the 19th, but I fell asleep before getting to post it. So I am posting it now, with only minor changes:

Location: Exeter, England

Yes, Jazlin and I have left Wales and are making our way to Tintagel in Cornwall, England. But before we left, she and I went to St. Fagans, a 100-acre Welsh history museum just a short bus ride outside of Cardiff. The open-air museum has free admission, beautiful gardens, a castle, and artisans who are working to share centuries of Welsh history. We happened by just before a group of men and women in period outfits sat down in one of the cottages for a lunch that one of the men proudly informed us was created from historic recipes and made fresh with local ingredients (apparently one of the women had just cleaned a fish for it and everything.) I'd have loved to get a picture, but I would have felt a bit bad disturbing their meal.

The weather took a bit of an unfortunate turn, and as we darted from one exhibit/building to another to avoid the moisture, we stumbled into a building where bark was once stored for the winter. Directly opposite was an assortment of large rectangular holes set into the ground (I can't remember their purpose - I'm sure Jazlin will straighten me out tomorrow.) In any case, there, scrabbling around down at the bottom of one of these pits, was a little wild hedgehog. He appeared to have fallen in and gotten stuck. While Jazlin and I looked on, a random Welshman who proclaimed himself fond of hedgehogs ducked under the fence separating us from what was technically an exhibit, climbed down into the pit, and scooped up the hedgehog. He gave it to Jazlin for safekeeping while he climbed back out of the pit, and then another lady released it into a nearby field where it eventually suspiciously scuttled off. The picture at the bottom is Jazlin holding the little hedgehog. 

As a minor coincidence, the museum was also the set for two Doctor Who episodes: "Human Nature" and "The Family of Blood." We weren't just there because of that, honest! But it was neat, because a couple of the places we went were easily recognizable when you look back at the episodes.






3 comments:

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Hey, Linds.

Awesome blog, and awesome pictures!! Thank you for sharing your grand adventures with us! I can't believe that you fit into that suitcase, and what you went through at the airport in Minneapolis. That makes LAX look good in comparison, and I had never thought that was possible. I look forward to your future blogs.

Aunt Shirley

M said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Ah, nice to have a new post! I quite enjoy your selection of titles, by the way. I'm surprised the hedgehog let itself be held - how neat. (No smuggling hedgehogs home!)

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Haha! Sounds like a jolly time! It's kind of them to allow you to use your camera in the museum, some places are not so kind. I hope your fantastic adventures continue to be so.