Saturday, August 24, 2013

Embarkation Information

Location: Somewhere in the North Sea

I am now commencing the blog update-by-email function! Because I only have about 2 hours (50 megabytes) of internet usage allotted for the entire voyage I cannot update the blog via traditional channels, and I cannot post pictures. I can still post though, because I am allowed free unlimited use of my shipboard email account, and I have already set up my blog so that I can update it simply by sending an email. Cool, huh? This also means that I cannot edit what I have already posted (or even see it!), however your comments are still emailed to me so I can continue enjoying them.

Anyhow.... Semester at Sea! It is 10:30pm right now (though we have been informed to set our clocks forward an hour tonight), and I am on the M.V. Explorer, typing this from my bed in my cabin (number 3123!). Because I can no longer post pictures I will just describe everything in excruciating detail instead (just kidding! Sort of...) My room itself is actually quite like what you see when you look at the pictures posted on the SAS website virtual tour of the ship. I have an inside room on deck three, which means that I do not have a porthole view of the ocean, but I do have a massive wall-sized mirror which serves to make the room feel larger than it is (and it is already larger than my last dorm room at the UO, so I'm happy with it.)

My roommate's name is Emily, and she seems very nice. We have a room that's officially right next to the engine, so we get to be on deck three for the price of a room on deck two. I don't think the engine noise is bad at all. In fact, I kind of like it because it keeps the room from feeling too quiet. For all you who are feeling a bit skeptical about that, let me reassure you that I am not just saying it to make you feel better, and I really like my room. In fact, when I first came in (Emily hadn't gotten here yet) I was so excited I jumped up in the air and broke a fingernail on the ceiling. Yah, not my finest moment. I don't usually do things like that.

So yah, we had safety drills and speeches by faculty which ate up a decent amount of time, so I haven't had a chance to explore the ship much. I have gotten lost a couple of times though, so I think it's big. I have had two meals now, and the food is great (pasta, rice, potatoes, bread.... all of my favorites!), but I'm not yet sure if one can get tea outside of the normal dining hours, which would be a bit sad.

The Fall 2013 voyage falls on the 50th Anniversary of Semester at Sea, and in celebration they gave us complementary bubbles to blow on deck as we left the dock, watched the shore grow smaller and smaller in the distance, and waved goodbye to the little group of family members who came to see off students. I last saw Jazlin headed off in a taxi bound for the train station, so hopefully she made it up to the Lake District alright (El if you could email and let me know you're still alive that would be great!)

I think that's all for now! I'm really appreciating all of your comments even though it isn't possible for me to reply to them individually.

2 comments:

M said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Wow, I can't believe you are on the ship!!!!! Not as a stowaway, either, but with a cabin and food! You really did it, Lindsey - I am so proud of you!

Janice said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Lindsey, I am so very excited for and proud of you. There are a million questions , like how are the seas... But mostly awe that you are where you are at long last, was with your mom, rain and Abby for hours today. We talked almost as much about you as we did horses! Calm seas, Janice.